Board members of the Wellington County Historical Society

Members of the Wellington County Historical Society board, elected at the annual general meeting on June 6, 2016. Standing in the back back row left to right are:  Evelyn Robson, Willa Wick, Cynthia Rabstein, Judy Howard, Beverly Henderson & Ian Easterbrook. Seated in the front row left to right:  Kathy Bouma – Treasurer, Ron Hattle – President, Helen Aitken – Recording Secretary.

Willa Wick presenting 1st place to Janice Hindley.
Willa Wick presenting 1st place to Janice Hindley.
Willa Wick presenting 3rd place to Jeannette Altwegg.
Willa Wick presenting 3rd place to Jeannette Altwegg.

Winners of the 2016 Writing Competition were:

1st place - Janice Hindley
2nd place – Royden McCoag
3rd place - Jeannette Altwegg
Honorable Mention – Elisabeth Easterbrook

Junior Division

1st Place – Jonah Doupe
2nd Place – Joshua Doupe

Marilynn Crow
Marilynn Crow

The guest speaker at the AGM was Marilynn Crow – author of “Evolution of the Family Farm – To The Seventh Generation".

Marilynn Crow signing her book for Ian Easterbrook.
Marilynn Crow signing her book for Ian Easterbrook.

Marilynn Crow launched her book "To the Seventh Generation: Evolution of the Family Farm in Canada 1823-2015" in an event at the Puslinch Library on March 19, 2016. WCHS President Ron Hattle, along with Ian Easterbrook, were on hand on behalf of the Society. Lynn presented many complimentary copies of her book, giving credit to the WCHS for our sponsorship. Marilynn Crow will be the guest speaker at the Society's AGM on Monday, June 6, 2016 at 7 p.m. All are welcome to attend.

John McDonaldThe Wellington County Historical Society presents "The Heritage of Halton and Wellington Counties after the War of 1812" on Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 2:00 p.m., Aboyne Hall, Wellington County Museum and Archives, 0536 Wellington Road 18 between Fergus and Elora. Historian and author John McDonald will look at the development of this part of Southern Ontario after the War of 1812 focusing on Wellington and Halton Counties. This colour PowerPoint presentation utilizes several vintage and contemporary photographs of the area with an emphasis on the origin of place names.

The Town of Erin Heritage Committee is holding a World War I Open House and Information evening on Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 7:30 p.m. Local journalist Phil Gravelle will give a presentation about what it was like to live in Erin during the war years, and will be speaking about how WWI affected life in Erin, using newspaper articles from the era. Members of the public are invited to display memorable items, and informally share their family stories related to the war.

The event will be held in the Council Chambers at the Town Office, 5684 Trafalgar Road, just south of Hillsburgh. For more information contact Jamie Cheyne, jamiecheyne01@gmail.com, or Town Councillor Jeff Duncan, jeff.duncan@erin.ca.

WCHS president Ron Hattle, the Duke of Wellington (Gary Bryant) and Wellington County Warden George Bridge.
WCHS president Ron Hattle, the Duke of Wellington (Gary Bryant) and Wellington County Warden George Bridge.

The Duke of Wellington paid a visit to the Wellington County Council Chambers in Guelph on June 25, 2015. His mission was to deliver a commemorative coin to Council in honour of the 175th anniversary of the establishment of the District of Wellington.

The coin’s imprint, bearing a likeness to the original Duke, was created by the South Wellington Coin Club in collaboration with the WCHS. Gary Bryant, in fine regalia, dressed the part and delivered a short speech. Additional coins are available for purchase from the WC Museum and Archives gift shop. Thanks to WCHS long-‐time member Leone Hinds for her enthusiasm for this anniversary, her contributions of stories for the Journal, and her ongoing support of Wellington County history.

The 175th anniversary of the District of Wellington was commemorated with a coin minted by the South Wellington Coin Club.
The 175th anniversary of the District of Wellington was commemorated with a coin minted by the South Wellington Coin Club.